Back pain has many origins, and can really interfere with daily living. If you are plagued by everyday back pain, look over the following suggestions that can ease your pain and get you focused on the more important elements of your life.
1. Try strengthening exercises. Consult your physician for specific exercises you can do every morning that properly stretch and strengthen the muscles in your back. Try core and leg building exercises too, as these will all take some of the load off of your back.
2. Sit up straight. Posture is an often over-looked yet leading cause of body aches and pains; sit and walk in the manner in which your body was designed for greater comfort and less pain.
3. Eat better. Certain foods, such as peppers, work in an anti-inflammatory way and this can reduce the amount of pain you suffer from. Overly processed foods and those containing many chemicals burden your body and can increase the aches you experience; be smart about your diet, in consideration of your back pain and skeleton health.
4. Drop a few pounds. If you spent the day carrying around a ten pound bag, your entire body would suffer! When we are overweight, the same principle of burdening applies and will contribute to back pain. Maintain a healthy weight to make the job your back does every day a lot easier.
5. Improve circulation. Especially if your job requires lengthy sitting, stretching and moving about will aid in circulation, which can improve back health. Circulation is vital to a healthy overall system and more efficiently functioning muscles and bones.
6. Lift right, or don’t lift at all. One wrong move when you are lifting something can cause permanent damage to your back! Get your legs and upper body involved in any lift and make a mental note to be cognitive of the strain you are about to put on your back, before injury or worsening of a pre-existing ailment.
7. Invest in a good mattress. Nobody likes to spend a lot of money, especially in these economic times, but a quality mattress is a must-have for back pain sufferers. Research the basic elements of a good mattress and get yourself one, even if the price isn’t pleasing.
8. Reduce stress. Relaxation techniques such as yoga and meditation can really help relieve back pressure. Stress exaggerates the negative effects of absolutely everything, so take the necessary steps to alleviate tension in your mind and body.
9. Consider a chiropractor or acupuncturist. Once considered alternative medicine by mainstream society, these methods have actually stood the test of time in many cultures. They operate on very basic principles and may offer you the relief you need in back pain. If you’ve sustained any injury or have serious spinal issues, check with your main physician before scheduling an appointment with any chiropractor or acupuncture clinic.
10. Get the right shoes. Just like with a mattress, shoes should be looked at as an investment in your health. If you suffer from chronic back pain, forgo heels and other aesthetically pleasing footwear, opting instead for good support. Specialty shoes are so advanced these days, they can be like medicine for your everyday back pain.
You may have to accept back pain as a part of life, but as this article demonstrates, there are many ways to reduce back pain and eliminate the sources of it. Take better care of your body and take the time to nurture your everyday back pain.